Thursday, October 28, 2010

Post # 5 Poetry/Anthologies book

Joyful Noise:Poems for Two Voices
By: Paul Fleischman
Illustrator: Eric Beddows
Publisher:Harper Trophy
ISBN:0-06-021852-5

Reading poems has always inspired me to write more. Hearing the sound of how the words flow into each other is like listening to music. I am always amazed by the choice of words people use. Words that makes me have mix emotions; happy, sad, love and etc. all at once. I never read poems that allow me to see the characteristics and activities of insects but the book Joyful Noise:Poems for Two Voices did.

Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices by Paul Fleischman, is a John Newbery Medal book. The John Newbery Medal is a literary award given by the Association for Library Service to Children, which is part of the American Library Association. The award is given to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children. This is a great book to have in a classroom because it can teach children how to work together. This is a book that requires two people reading together. What is better than using a book to help children develop team work! This book allows children to enhance their reading skill as well as listening skill. Therefore this would be a good book to use to fulfill the literature standards; reading, listening, talking, and writing.

As I was reading this book with my friend we can see a vivid picture of the lives of different insects, and how they live through different seasons. This is truly a poetic book of life, death, and transformation of something we come across every day. Children can relate to their surroundings and see how insects are just like any living thing, like themselves.

But truly, in order for children to read this book they need practice reading together at the same time. When I was reading with a friend it was hard for us to be in sync with each other. Children might have a hard time working together and that might make them not want to read. So I would recommend you to use this book with the older students.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lian-

    I think it is wonderful when we find these types of literature that children can interact with either the teacher or each other. Interactive books are always a good way to keep the children engaged. I have never heard of this poem before but I plan on checking it out next time I'm at the library.

    Casey

    ReplyDelete